Monday, October 22, 2012

poppies & leaflet pattern

The kids and I made it through our volunteer event last week - cooking for 45 people! Fortunately we had 2 helpers (including my son) which made a huge difference and kept my stress levels just under the highly dangerous zone! We got rave reviews, and all I can say is I'm glad it's over and I can concentrate on drawing again :)

This weekend I finally got around to drawing out a pattern inspired by what looks like a wood carving (though it looks to perfect to be hand-carved). I've had it pinterest board for a while - the actual pin is a dead link, but you can see the image from my board here - I love it, such beautiful flow from one section to the next - I couldn't get quite that look, maybe with more practice :) I have dubbed the pattern "leaflet".

More poppies! Leaflet pattern on the tube. Love how shading really brings this pattern to life.


The pattern step out: I found it a really forgiving pattern - it didn't matter if my curves lined up exactly at the start, or if some of my s strokes were a bit off (my concentration has a tendancy to wander!) Click the image for larger view.
 

You can find a video with wavy line variation here

Some easy variations such as a double curved or centre lines, leaving one side pattern free, comma shaped fill. Lots of shading options, also. These are just a couple of ideas.
 

Contours nicely, too :)

hx

25 comments:

  1. I am a poppy fan too. Your leaf pattern is wonderful. thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous,gorgeous,gorgeous, I love this pattern. Can't wait to use it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Thanks for posting the instructions....I can't wait to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really great. Isn't interesting how something so simple can result in such an interesting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. How do you draw the poppies though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The poppies I just draw freehand :) I should try and make up a poppy pattern sometime, though, as I love them!

      Delete
  6. Love your leftlet design! I'm going to have to try quilting that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous , thank you for the drawing steps

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful. I love the variations too. Can't wait to play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do do do like your tangle pattern!! I love to use leaves and flowers so Im sure I will use it soon. AND I just discover you are an Orstilyun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Anne, it took me a little while to decipher that one! Gave me a laugh when I figured it out :)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely pattern, chapeau! for designing it! love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to be an artist like you when I grow up and I'm 59!! LOL You are so talented. I am so glad I STUMBLED ONTO YOUR WEBSITE. I know you said you wanted to get away from the flowers - DON'T!!! They are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll always draw flowers - I can't help myself! It's nice to have a bit of a change every once in a while, though :)

      Delete
  12. Helen your drawings are so exquisite! I love looking at your site, gives me such inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pattern, and your poppies drawing is gorgeous. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am totally loving the leaflet. Sometimes simple is the best way to go. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! I can't wait to try it! It is awesome how simple it is but looks like so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is noncriminal, i love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are very talented, Helen. Such beautiful artwork. It makes me think I could do something almost as beautiful,too. I'll be back another day to soak it all in again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leaflet is stunning and way too much fun. Thanks for it.
    I looked up where Yarra Valley is and saw images of wine country. Looks like Eden.

    ReplyDelete